Tuesday, 4 September 2012

A slightly different September TBR...

I didn't manage to read all ten of the books I put in my TBR post for August. But I did read 22 books in August, so it isn't a lack of reading time. What happened? 

I fell prey to the same old tendency to read something else. Other books caught my eye, and I felt no guilt about getting to them ahead of the things I'd planned (except for The Wise Man's Fear, I will finish you someday!). I felt that if I forced myself to read things that I wasn't in the mood for, it might have an adverse effect on books I'd otherwise have enjoyed very much. So, I thought I'd make allowances for this, and do my September reading list a slightly different way.

I now only (!) have 178 books on my ginormous TBR spreadsheet - but obviously that's still too many to put up here and make you trawl through! A quick glimpse ought to show you the variety and extent of my reading list, but leave me free to read what I fancy, and more importantly, to not read what I don't fancy.

The first book for each letter on my spreadsheet:

A Pair of Schoolgirls - Angela Brazil (12 As)
Bearing an Hourglass - Piers Anthony (3 Bs)
Caesar - Adrian Goldsworthy (9 Cs)
Death Comes to Pemberley - P.D. James (3 Ds)
Elantris - Brandon Sanderson (3 Es)
Faith of Tarot - Piers Anthony (4 Fs)
Geisha - Liza Dalby (6 Gs)
Hadrian's Empire - Danny Danziger and Nicholas Purcell (7 Hs)
Ilium - Dan Simmons (4 Is)
Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte (2 Js)
Kirlian Quest - Piers Anthony (1 K!)
Lady Chatterley's Lover - D. H. Lawrence (9 Ls)
Macaulay's Essays and Lays of Rome - Macaulay (10 Ms)
Necronomicon - H. P. Lovecraft (3 Ns)
Of Bees and Mist - Erick Setiawan (3 Os)
Pack Animals (A Torchwood Novel) - Peter Anghelides (10 Ps)
Rebels and Traitors - Lindsey Davis (6 Rs)
Sexual Life in Ancient Greece - Light (9 Ss)
Temeraire - Naomi Novik (64 Ts including 'The')
UnRoman Britain - Miles Russell and Stuart Laycock (1 U!)
Vicinity Cluster - Piers Anthony (4 Vs)
Warbreaker - Brandon Sanderson (4Ws)

Apart from the fact that Piers Anthony seems to write a lot of alphabetically eager books, this is a fairly accurate representation of what I've got... There's a lot of stuff I've used for classes or looked through for certain things but never read cover-to-cover, especially with the classics and non-fiction, and there's a pretty good mix of genres I like. 
There you go then. 22 books I may or may not read in the next four weeks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment