Thursday, 26 August 2010

'For the rain it raineth every day'

It's been, for want of a better term, absolutely chucking it down for the last few days. So, in the interest of being inside, I've been doing a little bit of reorganising, mostly of my books.
And by George, did it need it!
I finally bought a new bookcase - no way this girl can live without three! Just goes to show my parents, consolidation doesn't help when you have a habit like mine... So that was assembled and at least now only some of my bookshelves are double stacked.
I also went a little bit mad on Amazon this weekend, and the last of my order turned up today, so I'm really feeling very intellectual (although two purchases were novels, at least one of them was Classics-related!)
I also made a long overdue visit to the Oxfam bookshop yesterday, and made several good finds.

So, some reworking was required when my to-read pile started to collapse early this afternoon. Some of my unread books have gone on the shelves already (fatal, I know), and I horizontalised my stacks into this little beauty:


From left to right:

Salway's Roman Britain - bought in the Oxfam shop yesterday, because it looked like a nicer version than the one I bought the other week and it was only £2.99. However, I realised my original version is illustrated, so they are of equal niceness. Decisions. I'll just keep both.

Sunshine by Robin Mckinley - from Amazon. It's the best vampire horror/romance I've ever read, because McKinley's America post-'Voodoo Wars' is utterly believable, Rae is a wonderfully likeable heroine, the vampires are suitably scary, and the plot is amazing.

City of the Sharp Nosed Fish by Peter Parsons - Amazon. On my quasi-reading list for Oxford. Looks to be rather interesting, but I haven't started it yet.

The Lake of Dead Languages by Carol Goodman - Amazon. Likened to The Secret History, it's a mystery about two of my favourite things, Latin and boarding school. Should be good.

The Colosseum by Keith Hopkins and Mary Beard - another Amazon splurge for reading list purposes.

The Victorian House by Judith Flanders - my mum lent me this. It's a room-by-room social analysis of the Victorians. I'm up to the scullery and while it's pretty heavy going, it's certainly fascinating.

Geisha by Liza Dalby - I'd been eyeing it in the Oxfam shop for a little while, since I adored Memoirs of a Geisha and wanted to find out more about the whole system. This book is part memoir, part non-fic; Dalby is the only non-Japanese woman ever to become a geisha. It's fascinating. I read half of it last night, and it isn't skinny.

The Ark's Anniversary by Gerald Durrell - Another Oxfam find. I love Gerry Durrell, his books are just so eminently readable! I startled myself the other day with the sight of ten of his books on my bookshelf - I never realised I had so many!

Pompeii and Imperium by Robert Harris - these are my dad's, and I'm surprised I haven't read them before! My tutor recommended I read them before October, so I might as well.

The Dragon Keeper by Robin Hobb - the first in a new series set in the same world as the Liveship books. My least favourite series, by far, but Mum says this was really good.

Losing Battles by Eudora Welty - I keep persevering with this, but it's interminable and it's really no fun. Like Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, if it had no sex, no decent characters, no tension and NOTHING INTERESTING GOING ON! I rarely give up on a book, but this might be one of them.

The Mageborn Traitor by Melanie Rawn - Sequel to The Ruins of Ambrai (and Mum says the third one's never been written, so not to get my hopes up). A beautiful high fantasy in a wonderfully realised world.

Myths of the Greeks and Romans by Michael Grant - (an old Oxfam purchase I picked up to read in the bath yesterday) What a fascinating book! I bought it to compare to Graves' Greek Myths but this is analysis too, and it's so interesting!

The Secret History by Donna Tartt - from Oxfam. I've been meaning to read this for aaages. It has Classicists and murder. Nuff said. Just like Lewis, my current obsession.

The Host  by Stephenie Meyer - from the library. I've been told this is very much better than Twilight - and I did enjoy Twilight while I was reading it. So this should be good.

Season of the Witch by Natasha Mostert - also a library book. Mum read this, and just passed it to me. I don't really know what it's about, it's one of those books with no real information on the cover or even inside. Looks kinda gothic...

Lives of the Twelve Caesars by Suetonius - I've loved Suetonius since we did excerpts at Latin Camp 09; he's such a hilarious gossip. Bought as part of my Amazon rampage!

What the Hell is he Thinking? by Zoe Strimpel - I got this free with Glamour or Cosmo or somesuch. It purports to give you a unique insight into men's minds, but it's mostly other people's disaster stories then some psychobabble. I am the seductress; I need not your hints!

Orlando by Virginia Woolf - after searching everywhere for this for English A-level, it turns up halfway through July in the Oxfam bookshop. So I bought it out of spite. And I intend to read it.

I ♥ New York by Lindsey Kerk - this was also free with a magazine. It's okay, a trite little romance about finding yourself and falling in love. There are two more in the series, I was amazed to find out. Mind you, once you've read Sophie Kinsella, chick-lit will never be as good again.

Pompeii by Mary Beard - and finally, another Amazon geek-out. Sexy history. Woo.

If I can be arsed later on, you might get some nice pictures of my bookcases. Aren't you excited?

No comments:

Post a Comment