Sunday, 23 May 2010

'If this were play'd upon a stage now, I could condemn it as an improbable fiction.'

So, on Friday I went to see the new Robin Hood film with the lovely Aidan, and I was pleasantly surprised to find it was nowhere near as bad as the press condemned it to be. In fact, as a historical romp, it was really quite entertaining.
Utterly, utterly improbable, though. Not to give too much away, but I doubt very much that Robin Hood could almost singlehandedly turn away an invading army. Never mind fight alongside King John. And, as always, the characters sustained massive injuries without any impact to their fighting ability, and a motley crew of villagers deflected the necessary attempted takeover.

But so what? It was good fun - and this coming from a girl who 'doesn't do' battle scenes of prodigious length. Those of you who saw my outrage at the recent King Arthur debacle know that I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to my legends; I like them traditional and based on, if not fact, accepted versions of the story. But Robin Hood escaped my wrath of un-traditional-ity by dint of being a bloody good reimagining!

I loved the idea of the stolen identity, and the developing romance between Robin and Marian. I liked the sidelining of the Sherriff as a fool, and I liked King John, he was fun. I LOVED the fact that the ginger one from ER was Will Scarlet - he just has to be ginger.

There's no way, no way at all, that this could be considered the best adaptation of the Robin Hood legend (I mean, how can you top the Disney film?), but it had a good go, and it was very entertaining indeed. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment