Hard to say, with this book, quite where it goes or what the plot is. Nonetheless, it's a hugely compelling read - I don't quite want to use the word 'enjoyable'. It's tinged with sadness and a sepia-like quality (the sign of a good memoir) and Eve/Evie/Evangeline has a tone and style which make the pages fly by.
I picked this up about 9 o clock last night, after avoiding it for a while out of a boredom with sad books. Within the first few pages I was engrossed, and while I stand by my comment that not a lot happens, it reads like a really well shot film, with long shots of the fields of Wales interspersed with close up detail of little things, like her grandmother's hair or the peeling paint of a windowsill. I'm still a little bit stunned by it. Hard to say how I feel, except slightly empty now I'm closed out of Eve's little world.
I also went to the library today - just the village one - and finally gave in to taking out Colleen McCullough's Antony and Cleopatra. I don't know, I just love the Shakespeare so much! Hopefully it'll be good, it's an awfully big hardback...
I also took out The Fade by Chris Wooding (I loved Poison but never read anything else of his because I got scared by The Haunting of Alaizabel Cray when I was 12) and Godiva by Nerys Jones, which looks like it might be good fun. I'm looking forward, perversely, to writing all of these up on my chart for English.
No comments:
Post a Comment